Here is what we did, as described by Anthony (click on image to go to their ePortfolio):
Students spent about 30 minutes experimenting, measuring, showing restraint while using balloons, and helping each other interpret the directions. This lesson was extremely valuable because it accomplished so much of what I wanted my students to learn and practice in the first few days of school! They are now more confident in their collaborative abilities and they know that they refrain from acting on impulses (there were zero behavior problems!).
After the experiment, everyone created a blog entry and started reflecting by stating what we did, what they learned, and why they thought this lesson would be valuable for other students to do. Here is what Sam had to say (click on the image to go to his ePortfolio):
Here, Ed describes important statistical landmarks (without using the terminology) that shows a strong knowledge of maximum and minimum: