1. NASA wants and thinks that they could send astronauts to Mars in the future, and that the astronauts that are sent, have to have courage, bravery, and be intelligent. Some of the people in NASA have kept others believing and wanting to go to Mars.
2. The trip to Mars would take about 250 million miles and would last 2 and a half years! That takes a long time!
3. The astronauts have to have water and food, and they get that by growing plants to eat. They also have exercise machines, which help their bones become strong.
4. There are many risks from traveling to such a distant planet, but the main risk is the weightlessness. The bones and muscles we have are only as strong as they need to be, so with less gravity then what we have on Earth, the bones lose calcium.
5. I would want to bring water and food, definitely. I also like the idea of having an exercise machine. That way I would have about the same amount of strength that I do on Earth. I would also want to bring something that would remind me of home, so that I could have something that would not make me feel home-sick.
Notes about the goals for the first manned mission to Mars
- Sometime in the early 21rst century, the first manned mission to Mars was ready.
- The goal of this was to look for life on Mars.
- Another goal was to find valuable minerals.
- Finally, they wanted to test the feasibility of the human settlement.
- When a clue to life on Mars was found, not all people believed that this was true.
- Sometimes, NASA sends robots on Mars to check out other things that might be useful.