- What do you notice in this picture? Where do you suppose the setting is?
- What is this character doing?
- What do you think this person is thinking about? What might he or she be saying to themselves in this moment?
Make a T-Chart in your WEX Spirals that looks like this:
Which actions on the left might have made me come up with the thoughts, feelings, and emotions on the right? Explain.
Now, you get to do the same with your character from one of the pictures above. Complete your T-Chart just like I did mine:
- Look at your photo.
- Choose one person in your photo.
- On your chart under the heading "Observations..." write down what you observe in the picture that you chose. Think about the setting, the action, and the situation of the photo, as well as the person or people in the photo.
- What do you think that person is thinking? Write down at least three internal thoughts under the heading "Internal Thoughts..."
- Ask a neighbor for help adding one more action and one more thought, feeling, or emotion.
- Now, circle one of the internal thoughts from your T-Chart.
- Draw a line from the circled internal thought to any observation(s) (no more than three for now) that led you to create that internal thought.
- Write at least three sentences explaining why or how those details from the photos made you think of that internal thought for your character.
- With the students in your Writing Circle, share your Skill Drill.
- After sharing, choose two students to get specific compliments (or polite Quality Boosters) from.
Raise your hand if... (page 21)