I learned quite a bit about political parties in class today. Here are some of the highlights:
- The names of the two political parties in the United States are called the Republicans and the Democrats.
- The smaller political parties are usually called third parties.
- People who don't want to register as a member of a political party can register as independent.
- People who are registered members of a political party DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO vote for that party's candidate.
- Here are three things that active party members can do during a campaign to get votes for their candidate:They promote their candidate, hand out flyers and even drive people to the polling places.
- George Washington was opposed to political parties because he believed it would divide the nation and cause a 'one sides better than the other' competition.
- One final interesting fact I learned about political parties is people don't have to be a political party because then they are called independent party people.