- The names of the two political parties in the United States are called the Democratics and the Republicans.
- The smaller political parties are usually called third parties.
- People who don't want to register as a member of a political party can register as independent.
- People who are registered members of a political party DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO vote for that party's candidate.
- Here are three things that active party members can do during a campaign to get votes for their candidate:
- They call neighbors
- They hand out fliers
- They even drive people to places where they can vote!
- George Washington was opposed to political parties because he feared that they would divide our nation.
- One final interesting fact I learned about political parties is that some third parties had really funny names like "Free Soil" and "Bull Moose". I wonder why they made them like that!
I learned quite a bit about political parties in class today. Here are some of the highlights:
Corinne--writer, reader, musician, skater, horseback rider, 10 years old, big sister, dog lover, member of Mr. Solarz' awesome 5th grade class.